Image Map

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Book Talk: Requiem & Beautiful Creatures

Hey there!  Long time no see huh?  I seem to be a pro at taking unnecessary and random breaks from blogging.  I'm back though and I have some book reviews for you!


First up is Requiem by Lauren Oliver.  I had been on the waiting list at the library for what seems like forever!  After getting through the first two books in the trilogy pretty quickly I was definitely anxious to see how it all would end.  I rated Requiem 5/5 stars and would definitely recommend the trilogy to anyone looking for a new read.  This is definitely a young adult, dystopia style book so if you liked The Hunger Games or Divergent I think you would like this one.  The following is a little about the book from Good Reads.

They have tried to squeeze us out, to stamp us into the past.

But we are still here.

And there are more of us every day.

Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has been transformed. The nascent rebellion that was under way in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight.

After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven—pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators now infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels, and as Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancée of the young mayor.

Maybe we are driven crazy by our feelings.

Maybe love is a disease, and we would be better off without it.

But we have chosen a different road.

And in the end, that is the point of escaping the cure: We are free to choose.

We are even free to choose the wrong thing.

Requiem is told from both Lena’s and Hana’s points of view. The two girls live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge.


If you're looking for my reviews of Delirium and Pandemonium {first two books that came before Requiem} you can find them here and here respectively.


I will admit when I saw the preview for the movie version of Beautiful Creatures I scrunched up my nose and thought there was no way that I would ever want to watch it.  Then I realized that it was based on a book.  After seeing some friends on Good Reads had rated it pretty highly I decided I would give the book a shot.  Now I want to see the movie!  Beautiful Darkness is the next book in the Caster Chronicles and I know I will be itching to get my hands on it soon.  I rated Beautiful Creatures 4/5 stars and would definitely recommend it for anyone into the young adult, fantasy, paranormal/supernatural/magic stuff.  And now for a little something from  Good Reads.

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power, and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.


And now for a shameless plug about a new adventure I'm taking part in!

Being the bookworm that I am I jumped all over the chance to be a part of a blogger book club.  The lovely Kay from Best of Intentions put together Blogger Book Club.  It's really easy and laid back, no huge commitment other than to read the book and then share your thoughts about it.   At the beginning of the month the book will be announced and then at the end of the month you can post a review of the book and link up.  If you like to read then this is right up your alley!  I'm looking forward to finding new books that I would have never picked up on my own.

This month's book is Me Before You by Jojo Moyes.  I read it in two days and that's all I will say about it for now.  I can't wait to link up on September 27th to share my thoughts with y'all!

Enjoy your Tuesday people.  I'm off to finally get ready for work.  I think I will grow to like my new 11a-7p shift.  But more on that later!

post signature

1 comment:

  1. love the Delirium series!! LOVED THEM! I could not wait for Requiem to come out. I really liked Beautiful Creatures too - all the books, even though some of them were long with details for me. HATED the movie! Maybe because I read the book first? You know how that goes! But it was awful. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments from my readers. I read every one and do my best to respond to you via email or on your blog.