Image Map

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Why I Love Living in the Country


While still on my fitness kick last week {walking after dinner every night} I ventured out with my daddy-o and Bo one evening and ended up walking around the block.  This was no city block though, when all was said and done we had logged over 3 miles.  On this walk my dad and I saw a bald eagle, at least three deer, and a raccoon.  The best part was seeing the raccoon get to the other side of the road without crossing it.  Any guesses how?
So, seeing all of this wildlife while walking got me thinking that this is why I love the country.  Sure there are some downsides to living in the country but the good outweigh the bad.  I came up with 5 reasons I love living in the country while sitting at work yesterday afternoon.
Bald Eagle across the road from my house.

#1 - Wildlife is all around!  As proven by the wildlife seen on our walk and by the numerous times while looking out of the living room window we’ve seen deer, turkeys, cranes, ducks, and pheasants.  People in big cities, or even in just the heart of medium sized towns get to see this kind of wildlife from the comfort of their own homes or while out on a walk.
#2 - Bo has room to run.  A fenced in city yard would not be enough for Bo.  He loves to run through the fields following his nose, or chasing birds and butterflies.  It’s an awesome feeling to be able to let him outside and not feel like I need to watch him 24/7 while he’s outside.  Between being set back from the road and the low traffic I feel pretty safe letting Bo run free outside in the yard and the fields.  You just can’t get that in a city.
#3 - You can go outside in PJs with bedhead without having to worry about someone seeing you.  As I said, my house is set back from the road quite a ways so, it’s acceptable to run out to the garbage can or to my car in my PJs with bedhead and an unwashed face because no one will see me.  Unless of course they’re spying on me with binoculars in which case they’re creepers and just plain in the wrong.
#4 - It's one big playground!  Growing up in the country meant my brother and I were free to ride our bikes up and down the road until our little hearts were content.  And even now, as an adult I can feel safe to walk or run on the roads because of the low traffic dirt {or should I say gravel?} roads get.  We have fields to ride the 4-wheeler around on.  And we have easy access to the snowmobile trails.  What more can you ask for?
#5 - No doggy do-do to pick up!  This one is probably my favorite.  Especially now, reading about other bloggers having to carry plastic baggies to pick up their lovable fur children’s business.  Not going to lie, I smile to myself and think, “Haha I don’t have to do that.”  Sure, I have to pick up after Bo in our yard and his kennel but there is no grabbing of the do-do with my hand inside of a plastic bag then carrying it to a garbage can.  I love it!
Would you believe my dad is in this picture?
It will be a sad day when I venture out of the nest to live on my own or with a roommate or two.  I don’t plan on buying a house right away and even if I was, land is expensive which is more than likely accompanied with a house in the country.  I’ve been blessed to grow up and live where I have.  I wouldn’t change it for anything even though when I was younger I didn’t always appreciate it as much as I do now.
Sorry for the blurry picture
Back to the raccoon from the beginning of my post, did you figure out how he made it to the other side of the road without crossing it?
He walked under the road through a culvert!  Genius little raccoon I tell ya!  It was pretty neat to see.  If only all animals had a safe way to cross the road.

1 comment:

  1. I love the country too!!! My sister in law lives in the country and its always nice when we go down! I cant even tell you how many animals we see! We live in what is considered a city. I dont see it that way though. You have to basically drive everywhere you go, unlike a major city where you could probably walk. We have a downtown but its like 10 minutes away from us and technically its only a very long street with buildings on each side. If you drive 10 minutes from us the other way you get country. Barns, chickens, farms big open spaces, pure country. I love it. We've seen some pretty interesting stuff around our house. We've had a fox, moose, deer. I'm in love with the country portion!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments from my readers. I read every one and do my best to respond to you via email or on your blog.