Image Map

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Rescue [Book Talk]

After finishing Before I Fall I was looking for a new book to read since Delirium which I had put a hold on wasn’t ready for me yet.  I went to Good Reads and checked out the beautiful Jenn’s list of books she has read.  [Check out her blog, That's What She Read!]Some books that caught my eye weren’t found when I searched for them.  {Not available in e-books from my library I assume?}  Eventually I stumbled upon The Rescue by Nicholas Sparks.  I’ve already read a handful of his books so I knew I would probably enjoy it.  Luckily it was available for me to borrow right away.
Here’s the synopsis from goodreads.com.
When confronted by raging fires or deadly accidents, volunteer fireman Taylor McAden feels compelled to take terrifying risks to save lives.  But there is one leap of faith Taylor can’t bring himself to make: he can’t fall in love.  For all his adult years, Taylor has sought out women who need to be rescued, women he leaves as soon as their crisis is over and the relationship starts to become truly intimate.  When a raging storm his his small Southern town, single mother Denise Holton’s car skids off the road.  The young mom is with her four-year-old song Kyle, a boy with severe learning disabilities and for whom she has sacrificed everything.  Taylor McAden finds her unconscious and bleeding, but does not find Kyle.  When Denise wakes, the chilling truth becomes clear to both of them: Kyle is gone.  During the search for Kyle, the connection between Taylor and Denise takes root.  Taylor doesn’t know that this rescue will be different from all the others, demanding far more than raw physical courage.  It will lead him to the possibility of his own rescue from a life lived without love and will require him to open doors to his past that were slammed shut by pain.  The rescue will dare him to live life to the fullest by daring to love.
I dove into that book and devoured it!  In two, maybe three, days I had it finished thanks to some late night reading sessions.  Who doesn’t enjoy a good love story though?
I’ve never been one to cry while reading a book but this one almost did it with a little help from some female hormones raging in my body that week.
Something I am coming to love about Spark’s books is the fact that they’re not all rosy perfect stories.  In this case, the woman already has a child, and a child that has a struggle with language on top of it.  His books relate to things that could and do happen in real life and it makes his stories that much more relatable to me rather than being more like a fantasy.
Something I definitely appreciate is the epilogue that wraps everything up nicely by jumping ahead a bit in time to give you closure to everything.  Since that was the downfall to Before I Fall for me I was happy to read The Rescue and feel satisfied with the end of the book.
I rated The Rescue as a 4/5 star book.  I definitely would recommend this book to someone.
Next up will be another Nicholas Sparks book, True Believer.  Look for the review next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments from my readers. I read every one and do my best to respond to you via email or on your blog.